Baking soda for heartburn symptoms is an effective home remedy which has helped out many a sufferer yet, it’s such a common ingredient in the home that it’s probably overlooked as a serious relief option for the uncomfortable symptoms of heartburn.
I remember baking soda being one of the staple products I would see first sitting on the shelf of my mom’s pantry when I raided it as a kid but it’s not until later in life when heartburn was a factor that I have really paid any attention to it and realized how many surprising ways it can be useful and change your life.
Health benefits of baking soda include reduced risk and prevention of diarrhea, metabolic acidosis, acidity, peptic ulcer, and drug intoxication. It has anti-itch or antipruritic properties which help in maintaining healthy skin. It is an effective home remedy for cold and flu and plaque removal. It is a good source of sodium, which may help prevent bladder infection and kidney stones.
It has antimicrobial properties which may protect the body and feet from infections. Usage of baking soda is not just limited to health, it is used in cooking and cleaning.
Baking soda also known as sodium bicarbonate or sodium hydrogen carbonate is commonly used and found in almost every household. It is odorless, salty in taste and available as a white powder. It has various uses in culinary and medicines.
Beneath are some of the recorded impacts of baking soda:
1. Substitute for spackle: Mix a small amount of baking soda with a small amount of white glue to make a paste. Apply the paste to fill in the hole.
2. Heat rash: Take a lukewarm shower using a cleaning product such as Dove that does not contain soap. Towel dry and apply a paste of baking soda on any area that has heat rash. Leave the paste on as long as possible.
3. Vinyl flooring scuffs: To remove scuffs from vinyl flooring, put a little bit of baking soda on a damp sponge and rub away scuff.
4. Musty scent on clothes: If your clothes dryer turns off before your clothes are completely dry and your clothes smell musty, sprinkle baking soda on your clothes and place back in dryer. Turn the dryer back on and allow your clothes to completely dry.
5. Spraying cat: If Fluffy has sprayed your carpet, make a paste of baking soda and water, apply to area, cover, and leave at least three hours or overnight. After the treated area has dried, vacuum up the remaining powder.
6. Clean chrome: To clean the chrome in your house, rub chrome with baking soda and a dry cloth. The chrome will have a great shine!
7. Sunburn pain: To relieve the pain of sunburn, apply a paste of baking soda and water to soothe and cool the affected area.
8. Bathing suit or kitchen towel mildew: If you cannot rinse or wash your bathing suit right away, place the bathing suit in a large zippered plastic bag filled with ¼ cup of baking soda. Shake the plastic bag well. The baking soda will keep the musty odor away by absorbing the moisture from the bathing suit.
9. Crayon on chalkboard: To remove crayon marks from a chalkboard, apply baking soda to a damp rag and clean the chalkboard. The baking soda will remove the crayon’s wax and make the board ready for chalk again.
10. Dishwasher smells while you’re away: Sprinkle a tad of baking soda in your dishwasher and leave the door open a little bit. This will keep your dishwasher from smelling musty when you return from that relaxing vacation to the beach!
Baking soda has antacid properties and is beneficial to relieve indigestion, severe acidity, and heartburn. It helps in relieving symptoms of peptic ulcer disease. Due to its alkaline properties, it is also recommended for reducing acidity in urine and blood.
Minimizes Metabolic Acidosis
Nutrition comprising of sodium bicarbonate is indicated in case of diarrhea wherein there is a significant loss of the bicarbonate from the body.
Gives Relief from Intoxications
Sodium bicarbonate is also useful in providing relief from various intoxications such as poisoning caused by methyl alcohol, research published in International Journal of Nephrology, administration of sodium bicarbonate may be beneficial in providing relief against toxicities such as salicylate intoxication, ingestion of methanol and ethylene glycol and sodium channel blockers poisonings.etc. According to a 2017
Sodium bicarbonate has anti-itch or antipruritic properties which also help in treating various skin conditions. A solution or paste made from baking soda can be applied to the skin.
Bees and wasp stings are usually painful and they are automatically followed with swellings on the affected parts. Use a solution that consists of baking soda and water to relieve the pain and reduce the swelling caused by insect stings. The solution should contain a high ratio of baking soda as compared to water, preferably 3:1.
Improves Sprint Performance
Relieves Cold & Flu
Common cold and flu are very common across all age groups across the world. A healthy diet and good health care prevent and protect the human body from these ailments. Baking soda is beneficial in providing relief from cold and flu. A nasal wash done with a solution made by mixing lukewarm water, salt and baking soda helps to clean the mucus from the nose. This may be repeated two to three times a day.
The use of baking soda is not just limited to skin and infections, it is also beneficial for teeth. A study suggests that the use of baking soda dentifrices (agents to clean and polish teeth) is very effective in removing plaque from the teeth.
Bacteria such as based oral products may help in decreasing the levels of this bacterium and protect the teeth from decay.mutans are associated with tooth decay and poor teeth health. Use of sodium bicarbonate
Rich in Sodium
Decreases Kidney Stones
Health benefits of baking soda include providing relief from kidney stones. Kidney stones are common amongst people and may run in families. There are different types of stones such as calcium stones, cystine stones, uric acid stones etc. usually smaller stones pass but sometimes if the stones are big they may cause severe pain. Sodium bicarbonate helps in decreasing stone formation and removing of material that causes the kidney stones.
There are different reasons why a person may not have fresh breath. Among all the reasons the presence of bacteria in the mouth is the main reason for having an unpleasant breath. Baking soda provides an instant solution to this kind of problem. Mixing a teaspoon of salt with sodium bicarbonate in water is a home remedy that has been proved to work effectively in the restoration and maintenance of fresh breath. Gargle this solution every morning to ensure that the bacteria working on the food particles in the mouth are completely eliminated
Reduces Bladder Infections
Baking soda may also help in reducing the risk of bladder infections. Bladder infection cases are common and caused by bacteria that breed well in the bladder. This is because these thrive in environments which are dump and acidic. Prevent this kind of infection or treat it as it strikes by taking a solution that consists of baking soda and a cup of water.
Use of baking soda along with essential oils may help in protecting feet from microbial infections and bad odor. A research study suggests that aromatic powder oil compound containing baking soda, arrowroot, and essential oils inhibit the yeast, fungal and growth on the feet.
How to Store Baking Soda at Home?
Generally, pure baking soda has a long shelf life. This is advantageous since it can be bought in large quantities. You, therefore, need not worry about the condition of the portion left after cooking. Adding baking soda while cooking food items such as lentils, beans speeds up the cooking. Adding baking soda to onion helps it to brown faster.
Accidents and injuries are common at home and this is why it advisable to stock a container of sodium bicarbonate which is used as first aid.
Uses of Baking Soda
Apart from various health benefits baking soda has other uses. It can be kept in and closets as that absorbs the bad odor. It can also be kept in shoe-boxes as a freshener. Soda sachets can be kept in shoes as well.
Baking soda can be used for cleaning blenders, pans and removing burned food from a pan. Soak the utensils, pans etc. in baking soda solution and then clean it. Fish odor can also be removed from dishes and pans by soaking them in water mixed with baking soda. It cleans enamel and china cookware and also removes coffee stains.
Word of caution
An overdose of baking soda may also cause vomiting, diarrhea, muscle weakness and spasms.
Care must be taken while consuming products that contain baking soda. It is advisable to consult your health specialist if you have blood pressure related ailments, kidney disease, are pregnant or breastfeeding as they may have side effects on consumption.
Start a healthy lifestyle blog today!